Monday, July 22, 2013

Long Overdue

I know it's been quite some time since I've made a post. Part of that is laziness, part of it is being insanely busy, part of it is I feel like I rehash the same experience time and time again. "Oh I fished for brookies last night, caught x amount of fish, it was fun." I'm a small stream fisherman. It's what I do. It ain't that exciting to most people, but it's what I love. Squatchin' around in the woods, catching natives, it's perfect to me.

So in early June I headed up to Potter County (God's Country) with the family for a week long vacation. This was the highlight of my summer so far. You can see my photo dump from the trip below. Since this was a family vacation, my fishing time was limited. My wife wasn't keen on sitting around the cabin all day every day with a toddler and a 4yr old while I'm out pounding the streams. I promised my wife I would not do this to her. Instead, I got up at 5:30am every day on my vacation, fished any one of the multitudes of small streams that are within a 10 minute drive of my cabin, and was back in time to eat breakfast with my wife and kids. A few days I snuck out for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

I've been fishing this area of the state as long as I can remember, and I've been fly fishing it since I was 16 years old. In all of my years of fishing, I have never seen the fishing so good.  Every single stream had great flows. The temps were perfect. Most of the days, the skies were overcast, if not a little drizzly. Every pool held fish. Every run produced strikes. When I think about fly fishing in Potter County, I dream of weeks like this.

This summer is a rare event in the life of a North Eastern fly fisherman. The solid amount of rain, the relatively cooler temps ("relative" is the key word...we just had a full week of solid heat indexes of 100 degrees), it has produced a fishing experience that I've not seen in quite some time. You'll forgive the lack of posts from me...I've been busy fishin.

2 comments:

  1. Its been so hot n humid in Ct, my fishin is limited to nights mostly. This week is supposed to be a bit cooler.. not much, but a bit. I can't wait to get out on a long hike and fish conditions like your potter county, maybe this weekend. I also have been post lazy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The past week was pretty darn bad, but up until then, we really lucked out. Potter was just amazing, though. My dad was up two weeks ago, fishing some of the staple wild streams (Slate Run, Little Kettle, Cross Fork), he said Cross Fork and Little Kettle were just on fire. We're so used to seeing really low flows this time of year, but this year has been a real treat. Great flows all summer...so far. I'm heading out tonight after work to check the Lancaster freestoners. We just got pounded w/ rain yesterday, so I'm sure they're flowing great.

    ReplyDelete