Monday, December 30, 2013

2013: The Year of the Brookie

I believe I'm done fishing for the year. I can't see myself getting out in 2013 again. Reflecting on this year, I have to say,  it's been a monumental year for native brook trout. I did more small stream brook trout fishing in more areas of PA than I have in prior years.

The interesting thing about the brookies this year is the over all size. The mild summer, good flows, it made for an excellent year for big brookies. I caught more "legal size" natives in 2013 than I ever have before, including several in the 11" range. My largest to date was the beautiful 12" native that I caught not 10 miles from home.

As I look towards 2014, it's time for a new focus. I hope to attempt bigger waters this year. Of course small mountain streams will still be a regular event, but I'd also like to try for bigger browns and bows, and do so more aggressively than I have the past several years. Trips to State College, trips to PA's "Trophy Trout Waters", trying a few more tail waters, the upper branches of the Delaware River, these are definitely on the agenda for the year. We'll see how it plays out. 

4 comments:

  1. Looked through the blog. Good stuff man, really enjoyed all the beautiful trout pictures, here's to wishing you great luck this year and tight lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet blog Squatch. I hope to read more once the streams thaw out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. I'll get to writing again once I start fishing again. It's been a long, hard winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I have seen on pa fly-fish that you have fished the mettawee river in vt. What tribs to the mettawee were good. I am heading up there in October and would appreciate any advise you have. Thanks

    ReplyDelete