Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Long, Hard Winter

Yeah. Everyone on the East Coast has felt it. This winter feels like it'll never end, but we know it will. Usually I'm pretty tough with cold weather. The last few years I've fished right through the winter. Not this year. Above-average snow fall, long stretches of teens, single digits, and even negative wind chills, not to mention a mad rush of school work to finish my under-grad work by May have made this winter a dud for fishing. I got out on New Year's day to fish a spring creek. Later in Feb. I did the same, but both times I took the skunking. This past week things finally started to look up for us. I got out to a new stream last Tuesday, a stream that the PFBC is considering for the natural reproduction list. It definitely has wild brookies in it! Saturday I spent a few hours hiking around looking for another stream being considered for the same list, with no success of locating the stream. Had a beautiful hike though, and it felt good to get outdoors and get some miles on my feet. Later on Saturday I fished my favorite local freestoner where the brook trout were willing to take not only subsurface flies, but also dries. Spring is definitely on its way, and it can't get here soon enough!

PS-I felt the site needed a new layout. I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment