Friday, January 25, 2013

Winter....it kind of sucks

One little thing I don't know that I mentioned here is that since last January, I lost 103lbs. Don't get me wrong. I'm still fat, just not as fat. So here I am, going through my first winter w/out an extra 100lbs of insulation, and I gotta say, I'm not a fan. The cold cuts right to the core of me now. I used to love winter, but now I'm far less tolerant of the frigid temps.

The other thing that sucks about winter is the fishing. I spent a significant amount of time on Valley this weekend, a stream that is usually teeming with trout. I fished with a group of four other guys, and we all got the skunk. Hard. In fact, every single person we talked to on the stream was getting the skunk. I even resorted to streamers to try and move some fish (this is a last resort for me!), nothing. I tried midges, scuds, BWOs (there was a healthy amount coming off the water), dry droppers, small nymphs, big nymphs, small streamers, big streamers, even green weenies. I tried up top, down deep and everywhere in the middle. There's gonna be days like this, I guess. Still, it was a really nice January day to be out. It was warmer than most days, the company was great, the scenery was nice, and the deer were on the move.

Monday I found out the answer to the age old question, "How cold is too cold?" I headed out to our local limestoner (Lititz Run) in hopes of a miracle (a trout actually feeding in the C&R FFO section). Midges are the order of the day on a cold winter day on that stream (or so I've been told), so I fished a weighted olive scud with a zebra midge floating above it. The wind chill was pretty brutal, and I couldn't find my fingerless gloves. I lasted 90 minutes, which is a drop in the bucket considering I was planning on being out for at least 3 hours. I covered not even half of the water I planned on fishing. I stopped often just to put my hands inside my fleece pockets. How cold is too cold? Wind chills in the teens is about what I can take, apparently.

On the upside, I fished Valley with the Featherlight 6'6" and I loved it. Going with the heavier line weight, I was able to do some nice casting, even from longer distances. The little graphite they're putting in these rods now to make them less floppy is a benefit. I wasn't sure how I'd like that addition, but its nice. It adds just enough firmness. I also received my Martin 61 (Tuna Can) in the mail on Wed. and got it lined and on the Fenwick. I love a loud reel like that.

I'm ready for spring.

3 comments:

  1. Dude don't worry.... heatwave coming Monday! Fleece pockets work good in the meantime, especially if there's a fifth o' whisky in there to warm the bones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup I'm ready! I'm actually tempted to go out today. I just can't stay away from fishing. I tied up some micro buggers, and oen of my favorite brookie streams is apparently running free and easy despite all the other streams being frozen up. The upper reachers are spring fed, as are a few of the tribs. I never fished it in the deep winter, but I'm very curious right now. A friend drove over a bridge and saw the creek, said its flowing with no ice. I may take a drive out there today, if anything just to take a stream temp.

    ReplyDelete