Thursday, March 14, 2013

Great weekend

This past weekend was awesome. The weather was perfect for March. I spent Saturday on a Natural Repo stream w/ a friend who I haven't fished with in quite some time. This stream is in the southern part of Lancaster County, so it was a good hour long drive for me. Worth it though. We were hoping that the brookies would be rising in the warm weather. No such luck. We caught a few on top, but most of what we caught were on our dropper. Lots of hiking involved in this stream, which is part of what makes the experience. There were some pretty nice sized BWOs coming off though. I mean, some of them had to be pushin' a size 16. That surprised me. Most of the BWOs we see in our area are 18 and smaller. It was a sizable, healthy hatch. I just wish it would have brought more fish up.

Sunday afternoon I headed out for another 3+ hours to a local freestoner. The nice weather brought a lot of hikers out. I never saw anyone fishing this stream when I've fished it, but this past Sunday there certainly a lot of hikers around the waters. This is apparently one of Lancaster's favorite make-out spots as well...there were a few awkward moments. Most of the brookies I caught here were very small and again, not rising despite the warm weather. I did take a stream temp, it was pushing 47-48 degrees, so I was surprised I wasn't raising more fish. It's still early though. The warm days can be tricky, you forget it's still March. I am concerned about the general size of the fish I'm turning up on this stream so far this year, though. I'm hoping that once the warmer weather kicks in, the bigger boys start showing up. A lot of dinks so far. At one point, this stream held a lot of larger brookies, but after the floods of 2010, that seemed to change.

No pics because on Saturday as we were leaving, I left my camera on top of my car. As I came to a stop sign it flew off. Didn't shatter, but it won't power on now. Fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment