Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A Test Drive for the Medalist

I was able to get out last night to hit the local ATW (which happens to be littered with native brook trout). I was expecting there to be crowds of bait slingers, instead I spoke to one spin fisherman who was walking back to his car as I was suiting up. I asked how he did, he said he caught a few small natives. I told him, "well that's good! Those are the fish I like to catch!" He felt the need to inform me that they were small. That's okay. I'd rather catch a 5" native than a 15" stocker any day.

I felt this would be a good test drive for the newly repaired Medalist. I grabbed my Fenwick before leaving for work yesterday, slapped the Medalist on it, and had her rigged up w/ a dry dropper ready to go so that I could hop out of the car, throw on my waders, and take advantage of the remaining hour of daylight. The plan worked.

It was windy and colder yesterday. I didn't take a stream temp, but the fish were definitely put down. I managed to catch two chubs (the Sasquatch nightmare! One was big w/ thorns...nasty!), but no trout were brought to hand. Still, I saw a few rises, missed a couple on the dry fly, and I had a NICE trout hooked at one point. It jumped and threw my fly, but it was was not a stocked rainbow. I got a quick look at it, it seemed to be of good size, but I couldn't make out the species. It definitely wasn't a bow, though. If it was a brookie, then it was one of the biggest natives I've ever seen. If it was a brown, it would be wild as they haven't stocked browns in this stream for two years now. I'm going back on Saturday when the temps are supposed to be in the mid to upper 50s, pray to God that the stream isn't littered with truck chasers, and I'm going to catch this fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment