Wednesday, December 19, 2012

All I Want for Christmas

With my school workload over the next two weeks and the Christmas holiday approaching, I don't have time to fish. This is a bummer, considering we're having unseasonably warm temperatures right now. The Christmas pinch, however, has not kept me from poking around the interwebs for "new" gear. I should mention, I have a love affair with old gear. My go-to rod is a 7'6" Fenwick FF85 w/ an old Ocean City click and pawl reel. I got turned onto glass by an older gentleman who started handing down his fly fishing equipment. He's getting to the point where he can't fish anymore, and has slowly been gifting me his gear. I've been most appreciative, however its sad that I'll never have the chance to fish with this man. I feel as if I can't reward his generosity. Regardless, the first rod he gave me was a 6' Berkley Parametric with a Heddon 310 reel. The first time I casted that rod, I knew that glass was the way to go! The slower action and soft touch fits my style of fishing very well. Since then he gifted me the Fenwick and a 6' Fenwick. I acquired a Medalist 1494A as well.

Of course, being a clumsy squatch, I managed to break the reel on the Heddon (the search is on for a replacement reel). Then, the reel foot on my Medalist broke (a little easier to replace). So now I am left with my Ocean City as my only working click and pawl reel. I work on very limited budgets, so my quest for more click and pawls is restricted.

Apart from searching for old click and pawl reels, I'm also constantly searching for glass rods. I need a longer glass rod, which led me to look into the classic Eagle Claw Featherlite. And thus, my Christmas list is formed. Will Santa be kind to The Sasquatch!? We'll find out in a week!
All the Squatch wants for Christmas this year is this beautiful banana of a rod:
And to match, I was thinking about trying out this reel:


No comments:

Post a Comment